Art Capital of the Philippines

Saint Clement Parish


THE EARLY BEGINNINGS AT BIGA


Before, Angono was a visita. It was more popularly known then as Hacienda y Esatncia de Angono. From 1575 to 1751 sucessively under Pasig, Taguig, Morong and Binangonan, it was not known what kind of church Angono had for a "visita". Speculations prevalent about the church were that it was just a private chapel or maybe a bodega - later improvised by the Hacienda owners and the Clergy into a house of worship in order to help evangelize the people in the growing community of Angono.

It was possible too, that the church at Biga was made purposely in satisfaction of the requirements for the approval of a Capellania for Angono at the expense of the Hacendero which was Alferez Don Andres Blanco Bermudez.

On August 9, 1951, a Capellania was approved by the Superior Government of Spain in the Philippines for the Hacienda de Angono and the "citio" of Lagundi in Laguna de Bay. On October 19, 1751, Bacheller Don Valentin Flores became the pioneer chaplain of Angono assigned to initiate the minds of the people of Angono into an understanding and acceptance of the mysteries of the Catholic faith.

In September 4, 1752, Padre Valentin Flores was given Bartolome Quimio (a Christian Chinese) and Francisco Andaya to assist him as “Fiscal Colador” – the former to the “Sangley”  (Chinese) in Angono: and latter, to the natives and mestizos.

    In 1818 Padre Gabriel Ponce reported the population of Angono to be 875 Almas (souls). That was when Don Pascual de Sta. Ana of Pasig bought the Hacienda y Estacia de Angono.

    The church at Biga had its trusses fully aged and chopped mulawin lumber. The roof coverings were of bricks (tisa) and the sidewalls were of hard adobe plastered together with lime (apog). The portada was an imposing neat little work of masonry made of formed adobe.
    In 1784, a big copper church bell was brought to Angono by the Hacendero Josep Blanco Bermudez. That bell is still in use at the belfry of the present church in Angono. In 1853 Doña Dominga de Sta. Ana and Captain Francisco Guido of the Spanish Army in the Philippines (married in 1852) brought to the church at Biga another big bell which was dedicated to San Isidro Labrador – patron saint of the farmers and the livestock of Angono.


A VISITA AT IBABA

 Living conditions having generally improved in Angono,  more and more people continuously built their houses and lived predominantly nearer to the Laguna Lake where nobody could be hungry by means of catching fish from the lake.

    Along side this new way of life, a small unlicensed cogon visita was built at Ibaba. That was sometime in 1854 when Don Sixto Villaluz was Gobernadorcillo of Angono. The Cura Capellan, Padre Agustin de Sta. Juan, also built himself a small “convent” near that visita and in the absence of an authorized and official church in Ibaba, the old priest rodea carreton pulled by a cow every time that he had to go to Biga for the regular Mass at the Capellania of the Hacienda de Angono.


THE CHURCH AT IBABA

 On June 3, 1863, between 7:00 p.m. and 8:00 p.m., a strong earthquake occurred in Angono damaging the church at Biga. The converting and evangelizing mission of the old church in the hill at Biga having been already accomplished and being in such a physical condition where age and natural calamity had worked adversely against the old church at Biga, instead of repairing it after the earthquake of 1863, it was decided to simply enlarged the cogon visita at Ibaba. That was sometime in 1864 when Don mariano Roadella was Kapitan de Pueblo of Angono.

    The people of Angono managed to build the church in 1865, under Kapitan Florentin Gragera, and when completed in 1866, it was a big camalig made of Mulawin posts, cogon roof, and bamboo sidings.


CONTROVERSY OVER THE "POON"

     When the fixtures of the old church at Biga had to be transferred to the new cogon church at Ibaba in 1866, a controversy over the disposition of the “poon” (image of the saints) cropped up between the town people in one hand and the Hacendero on the other.

    Don Francisco Guido prevented the transfer on the ground that the Hacienda, being the owner of the Capellania at Biga, including the physical set-up of the church logically, also owned the images of the saints therein. The people of Angono on the other hand, having been religiously steeped in their devotion to their “Mahal na Poon” were in no mood to be deprived of their object of veneration.
    In clarification of the opposing interests, Doña Dominga conceded that she herself did not know who in the particular among her long line of Spanish predecessors had brought the sacred images to the chapel at Biga. It was thus agreed that the veneration of the fisher folks for the statue of San Clemente should be allowed to continue in the new church; and the statue of San Isidro Labrador be retained in the general area of the farming sector at Itaas.


THE PRESENT CHURCH OF ANGONO

 With the ever increasing spiritual demands of the ever increasing population of Angono – mostly concentrated in Ibaba – the totally Catholic population of Angono stared to build a church that would look like a real house of God.
    
    With “tres cientos tres pesos” (P303.00) already on hand to begin with, Episcopal permit for that construction was issued by Archbishop Pedro Payo de Felix since July 2, 1881. As originally planned and estimated, the church when finished, according to plan, would ultimatedly cost “trecemil setenta y cinco pesos noventa y cinco centimes(P13,075.95), according to Don Marcelo Bocalan, the “Principal del Pueblo de Angono en Distrito de Morong.”

    For that construction, stones, lumber and galvanized iron sheets had been decided would make up the materials of the new church in place of the cogon roof of the old church located at Ibaba.

    Construction of the church was actually begun in 1877. School children also did their share in the construction of the church. They were required by their teachers to scoop as much sand as they could carry and bring them everyday to the construction site of the new church at Ibaba.

    The new church was a fitting monument to the ingenuity of Filipino secular priests as well as to the voluntary and collective movement of the community. It also marked for the first time a cooperative convergent and combine the endeavour of both Hacenderd (Don Genio) and the town people of Angono (under Kapitan Tonio Vitor) and the Cura Parroco (Padre Saturnino)

    In 1894 Padre Luis Ignacio succeeded Padre Pacheco as Cura Parroco of the still unfinished church.

    The construction of the church had been a continuing process until the belfry was done somtime in 1930 under Padre Segundo Alto. It replaced the old small wooden “Campanario” located at the patio. In 1938 another big copper bell was installed at the belfry which was donated by Padro Anorico. Previous architects who designed the alter were Arch. Pedro V. Roan and Arch Felicisimo B. Fuentes.

    A general repair of the church was done sometime 1955. The Cristia, the window frames and panes, the belfry, the Convento – all these were renovated from the proceeds of sale by Padre Simon Ginete, of the old cemetery site at Balite to bona fide occupants of the place.
    The Glorietta with its big “Christ the King” was made in 1952 through the initiative of the Samahan ng Corazon de Jesus. Through the Catholic Women’s League of Angono Under its President, Mrs. R.M. Lara and the Parish Priest Pedro marcelino, the Kindergarted School at the churchyard was constructed in 1967.

    Today, the Saint Clement Parish Church in now bigger with its Formation Center and its own Colegio de San Clemente. Various ministries had been created to serve the needs of the congregation and they are really proving they are consistent in providing the spiritual needs of the folks of Angono.

PRIESTS ASSIGNED TO ST. CLEMENTS PARISH

   NAME                                                                                       DATE

Rev. Fr. Agustin de Sta. Juana                                    1862-1867
Rev. Fr. Juan Dilag                                                           1867-1870
Rev. Fr. Saturnino Pacheco                                         1870-1894
Rev. Fr. Luis Ignacio                                                      1894-1898
Rev. Fr. Leonardo Dampusoy                                    1898-1900
Rev. Fr. Victor Raymundo                                          1900-1905
Rev. Fr. Tranquilino Manahan                                   1905-1917
Rev. Fr. Jose Mercado                                                  1917-1919
Rev. Fr. Valentin Tanyug                                             1919-1919
Rev. Fr. Victorino Vasco                                             1919-1922    
Rev. Fr. S. Buenaventura                                             1922-1923
Rev. Fr. Tranquilino Manahan                                  1923-1927
Rev. Fr. Lup S. Dumandan                                           1927-1927
Rev. Fr. Jacinto Vergara                                             1927-1930
Rev. Fr. Segundo Alto                                                   1930-1946
Rev. Fr. Pacifico Araullo                                              1946-1946
Rev. Fr. Pedro Santos                                                    1946-1951
Rev. Fr. Simeon Ginete                                                 1951-1957
Rev. Fr. Pedro Marcilino                                             1957-1978
Rev. Fr. Jose Matan                                                       1978-1983
Rev. Fr. Alfredo Ganzon                                              1984-1987
Rev. Msgr. Pastor R. De Guzman                             1987-1996
Rev. Fr. Julio Cesar Manalo                                      1996-1999
Rev. Fr. Edilberto Delantar                                       1999-2001
Rev. Fr. Jose Victor D Nepomuceno                    2001-2005
Rev. Fr. Rodney B. Cruz                                             2005-Present


Schedule

Diocese of Antipolo
St. Clement Parish
Doña Aurora St. Brgy. Poblacion ibaba
Angono, Rizal

Parish Priest:  Rev. Fr. Rodney B. Cruz
Parochial Vicar / Asst. Priest:  Rev. Fr. Paul V. Merida
Patron Saint:  St. Clement

Schedule of Masses:

Monday – Friday    5:30AM&6PM
Saturday        5:30AM, 5:15PM & 7PM
Sunday            3PM, 4:15PM & 5:30PM


Liturgical Services:

Baptism:        Tues – Sat 11:30 AM
            Sunday 12NN

Mass confirmation: Scheduled before Feast Day of St. Clement

Confirmation for Marriage Purpose only:    Every Thursday 3PM

Confession:    Every Wed & Fri    5:30PM

Wedding:    Tues – Sat    7:00AM, 8:30AM, 10AM & 2PM

Funeral Mass:    Tues – Sunday    1PM




Written by: Denise Alyanna Cruz

Sources: Rev. Fr. Rodney Cruz
                   : Ms. Angeline Parungao
                   : Ms. Leonila Gosiaco